Academy of Sciences
UNIVERSITY OF LATVIA INSTITUTE OF SOLID STATE PHYSICS (ISSP)
Kengaraga iela 8, Riga, LV 1063
Tel.: (371) 7187816. Fax: (371) 7112583.
Director and Chair of the Council Dr.habil.phys. A. KRUMINS
ISSP was founded in 1978 on the basis of UL Laboratory of Semi-Conductor Physics (head
Prof. I. Vitols) and UL Segneto- and Piezolelectric Laboratory (head Prof. V. Fricbergs).
Up to 1986 the Institute was headed by J. Zakis,
Full mem. LAS; from 1986 to 1992-A. Silins,
Full mem. LAS. In 1993 four scientific laboratories dealing with solid state physics of
LAS Institute of Physics came over to the ISSP. By continuing basic research in solid
state physics and developing new materials, in 1996 parallel to this, steps were taken for
further integration in the University of Latvia-the staff of the Institute delivers
lecture courses to the students of the University of Latvia; training of students in
Master's studies in solid state physics and material science takes place at the ISSP.
Main Areas of Research
- Physics of ionic crystals; the influence of defects and their identification (I. Tale, Full mem. LAS; U. Rogulis, V.
Ziraps, and J. Kotomins).
- Physics of disordered materials, including optic glasses (A. Silins, Full mem. LAS; A. Trukhins, L. Skuja,
D. Millers, and S. Cernovs).
- Ferroelectric physics (A. Krumins and A. Sternbergs).
- Solid state ionics (A. Lusis and J. Purans).
- Physics of optical recording (A. Ozols and J.
- Surface physics (J. Maniks).
Main Results of Research in 1996
- The monograph by Kuzovkov, V.N. and Kotomin, E.A. Modern Aspects of
Diffusion-Controlled Processes. Elsevier, 1996. 410 p., has been published.
- Two international meetings have been organized:
- international conference "Advanced Optical Materials and Devices" with 124
participants from 16 countries;
- seminar on the implementation of COPERNICUS project with 15 participants from 4
- Quick luminescence of localized states in oxide glasses with a wide gap has been
To LAS home page
Last update: 01-12-2005 18:54:02