||Professor, Dr.sc.ing. Andris CHATE
Head of Division of Composite Structures and Materials,
Institute of Materials and Structures,
Riga Technical University Kalku
Phone: +371 -708 9124
Fax: +371 708 9254
Born: July 5, 1952, Cesis Latvia
- Composite Materials
- Finite Element Method
- Optimisation and Identification
- Solid and Structural Mechanics
Languages: Latvian, English, and Russian
- Riga Technical University (Faculty of Computer Science
and Computer Engineering), 1975
- Dr.sc.ing. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, PhD in Western countries), Institute of
Polymer Mechanics, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1981
- Professor, Head, Chair (Division) of Composite Materials and Structures, Faculty of
Civil Engineering, Riga Technical University,
- Engineer, Research Associate, Institute of Polymer
Mechanics, Latvian Academy of Science, 1975-1981
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Strength of Materials, Riga
Technical University, 1981- 1986
- Senior Researcher, CAD Center, Riga Technical
University, 1986- 1994
- Senior Researcher, Institute of Computer Analysis of Structures, Riga Technical University, 1994 1999
- Associate Professor, Institute of Materials and Structures, Riga
Technical University, 1999 2003
- Professor, Head of Division Composite Materials and Structures, Riga Technical University, 2003
Abroad (Visiting Researcher, Mobility grants)
- University of Wales, Swansea, UK, 1990 (2 months) and 1998 (1 month)
- Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 1993 (3 month) and 1998 (1 month)
- University of Kassel, Germany 1991 2002 (2 -3 months yearly)
Professional Activities and Memberships
Riga Technical University:
Mechanics of Materials, 1981-1990
Finite Element Method in Solid Mechanics, 1986-1989;
Finite Element Method. Course of Lectures, 1999-
Advanced Materials in Civil Engineering, 1999-
Structural Optimization, 2003-
- Introduction in Finite Element Method, University of Kassel, Institute of Materials Science,
- Introduction in Mechanics of Composite Materials, First School on Composite Materials in
Mexico, University of Colima, Mexico, 1996; University
of Kassel, Institute of Materials
Science, Germany, 1996
- Fracture Mechanics of Composite Materials. Course of Lectures, University of Kassel, Institute of Material Science,
Germany, 1997; University of Halle, Institute
of Applied Mechanics, Germany, 1997
- Methods of Identification of Material Properties. Course of Lectures, University of
Kassel, Institute of Materials
Science, Germany, 1998
- Finite Element Analysis of Laminated Structures. Course of Lectures, University of
Kassel, Institute of Materials
Science, Germany, 1999
Over 120 published works in scientific journals and proceedings of conferences.
- Chate A., Mäkinen K., Plane Finite Element for Static and Free Vibration Analysis of
Sandwich Plates. - Mechanics of Composite Materials, 30 (2) (1994)
- Chate A., Rikards R., Mäkinen K., Olsson K., Free Vibration Analysis of Sandwich Plates
on Flexible Supports. - Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures , 2
- R. Rikards, A. Chate, A. Korjakin. Vibration and damping analysis of laminated composite
plates by FE method. - Engineering Computations, 1995, 12 (1), pp.61-74.
- R. Rikards, A.Chate. Optimal design of sandwich and laminated composite plates based on
planning of experiment. - Structural
Optimization, 1995, 10 (1), pp.46-53.
- Rikards, R. and Chate, A. K., Vibration and damping analysis of laminated composite and
sandwich shells. - Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures, 4, (1997),
- Rikards, R. and Chate A., Identification of elastic properties of composites by method
of planning of experiments,- Composite Structures,
42 (3), 1998, 257-263.
- Rikards, R., Chate, A., Steinchen, W., Kessler, A. and Bledzki, A. K. Method for
identification of elastic properties of laminates based on experiment design. - Composites.
Part B, 30, 1999, 279-289.
- Bledzki, A. K., Kessler, A., Rikards, R. and Chate A. Determination of elastic constants
of glass/epoxy unidirectional laminates by the vibration testing of plates. - Composites
Science & Technology, 59, 1999, 2015-2024
- Rikards R., Chate A., G. Gailis., Identification of Elastic Properties of Laminates
Based on Experiment Design.- International J. of Solids and Structures, 38 (2001)
- Rikards R., Chate A., Ozolins O., Analysis of Buckling and Vibration of Composite
Stiffened Shells and Plates. Composite Structures, 51 (2001) 361-370.
- Gassan J., Chate A., Bledzki A., Calculation of Elastic Properties of Natural Fibers. - Journal
of Materials Science, 36 (2001) 3715-3720.
- Rikards R., Chate A., Ozolinsh O., Analysis for buckling and vibrations of composite
stiffened shells.- Composite
Structures, 51, 2001, 361-370.
- Rucevskis S., Chate A., Reichhold J., Bledzki A. K., Effective Elastic Constants of
Unidirectional Fiber-Reinforced Composites with the Concept of Interphase. - International
Journal of Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 8 (2003) 109 115.
- Rikards R., Abramovich H., Green T., Auzins J., Chate A., Identification of elastic
properties of composite laminates. - Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures,
2003, vol. 10, pp. 335-352.
European Research Projects (as principal investigator, head of
projects Prof. R. Rikards)
Improved Postbuckling Simulation for Design of Fibre Composite Stiffened Structures, POSICOSS (5th Framework, GROWTH,
2000-2004). Project coordinator DLR - German Aerospace Center, Germany.
Advanced Composite Sandwich Steel Structures, SANDWICH
(5th Framework, GROWTH, 2002-2003). Project coordinator Meyer Werft, Papenburg,
Design of an Advanced Composite Production Process for the Systematic Manufacture of
Very Large Monocoque Hybrid Sandwich Structures for the Transportation Sectors, HYCOPROD (5th
Framework, GROWTH, 2002-2003). Project coordinator Advanced Railway Research Centre,
University of Sheffield, United Kingdom.
Integration of technologies in support of a passenger and environmentally friendly
helicopter, FRIENDCOPTER (6th Framework, 2004-2007). Project
coordinator Eurocopter Deutschland, Germany.
Increasing Safety and Materials Exploitation of Composite Airframe Structures by
Accurate Simulation of Collapse, COCOMAT (6th Framework, 2004-2007).
Project coordinator DLR - German Aerospace Center, Germany.
Integrated Project InterSHIP (6th Framework, 2003-2007). Project
coordinator Kvaerner Masa Yards, Turku, Finland.
Latvian Research Projects
- A.Chate. (Principal Investigator of Project). Development of Functional Materials Based
on the Investigation of the Structure and Biomechanical Properties of Biological Tissues. Latvian
Council of Science (2004 -).
- Development of Methods for Optimal Design of Composite Materials and Structures.
Latvian Council of Science (2001-2004).
- Identification of Mechanical Properties and Cracks of Laminated Composite Materials and
- Dynamics and Fracture of Laminated Composite Structures Coupled with Fluid. (1994
Last update 10.11.2004