med. Jekaterina ERENPREISA
Latvian Biomedical Research and Study Centre
Ratsupites iela 1,
Phone: +371 67808220
Fax: +371 67442407
Born: February 13, 1945, Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine
- Cell Nucleus Structure
- Tumour Cell Biology
- Chaotic regulations in Biological Systems
Brief Description of Main Results
1. Basic research and development of new methods (approx. 16) in
light and EM cytochemistry of cell nucleus.
2. Studies of cell nucleus revealed co-operative character of levels of
the chromatin organisation. In addition, discovered (1) Fractality of the rosette-like
high level chromatin packaging (1989-1993); (2) Oscillatory character of the nuclear
response to damage stress (1990-1993).
3. Staining properties of tumour cell chromatin were found associated
with superhelicity of DNA.
4. Transdifferentiation in development and induction of differentiation
in tumours were shown to involve asymmetric cell divisions and apoptosis.
5. Aberrant cell cycle and cell death were found to have common features
in embryonic development and tumours.
6. Survival of the DNA damage-resistant tumours is likely due to the
activation of the meiosis-like program in endopolyploid cells (1998- ).
Languages: English, Latvian, Russian (French, German)
- Medical Academy of Latvia (Faculty of General Medicine), 1968
- Postgraduate course (Experimental Oncology), Latvian Institute of Experimental and
Clinical Medicine, 1971
- Dr. med. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, PhD in some Western countries), Latvian
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, 1971
- Dr.habil. med. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Institute of Cancerogenesis Problems,
Kiev, Ukraine, 1991.
- Southampton University Course on Confocal Microscopy, England, 1997
- EMBO Special Course on Digital Image Microscopy, Delft, The Netherlands, 1998.
Latvian Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine:
- Junior Researcher, 1971-1981
- Senior Researcher, 1981-1993.
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, Riga:
- Leading Researcher, 1993-1996
- Head of the Laboratory of Tumour Cell Biology, 1997-2000
Research and Study Centre, Riga
- Leading Researcher, 2000 -
Honours and Awards
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member of the Board, Latvian Morphologists Society, 1996 -
- Member, Habilitation and Promotion Council (in Oncology), Institute of Experimental and
Clinical Medicine, 1993
- Member, New-York Academy of Sciences, 1996
- Officer, International Union Against Cancer, 1996
- Member, European Society of Analytical Cell Pathology,
- Member, European Tissue Culture Society, 1995
- Member, Int. Society of Quantitative Pathology
189 scientific publications, among them 1 monography, 93 original articles (50 are
indexed in PubMed).
T.Illidge, M.Cragg, B.Fringe, P.Olive, Je.Erenpreisa. Polyploid giant cells provide a
survival mechanism for p53 mutant cells after DNA damage. - Cell Biol. Internat.,
2000, vol. 24, pp. 635-648.
Je.Erenpreisa, M.Cragg, B.Fringe, I.Sharkhov, T.Illidge. Release of mitotic descendants
by giont cells from irradiated Burkitt lymphoma cell lines. - Cell Biol. Internat.,
2000, vol. 24, pp. ............
Je.Erenpreisa. " Tamed" chaos in embryonal development and carcinogenesis: a
holistic view. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci, 2000, vol. 54, N 1/2, pp. 1-8.
J.Erenpreiss, J.Bars, V.Lipatnikova, Je. Erenpreisa and J. Zalkalns. Comparative Study
of Cytochemical Tests for Sperm Chromatin Integrity. - Journal of Andrology, 2001,
vol. 22, pp. 45-53.
J.Erenpreiss, S.Hlevicka, J. Zalkalns, Je. Erenpreisa. Effect of leukocytospermia on
sperm DNA integrity: A negative effect in abnormal semen samples. - Journal of
Andrology, 2002, vol. 23, pp. 717-723.
Je. Erenpreisa, A.Ivanov, M.Cragg, G.Selivanova, T.Illidge. Nuclear envelope-limited
chromatin sheets are part of mitotic death. - Histochem. & Cell. Biol., 2002,
vol. 117, pp. 243-255.
Je.Erenpreisa , J.Erenpreiss, T. Freivalds, M.Slaidina , R.Krampe, J.Butikova ,
A.Ivanov , D. Pjanova. Toluidine blue test for sperm DNA integrity and elaboration of
image cytometry algorithm.- Cytometry, 2003, vol. 52A, pp. 19-27.
A.Ivanov, M.Cragg, Je.Erenpreisa, D.Emzinsh, H.Lukman, T.Illidge. Endopolyploid tumour
cells produced after severe genotoxic damage have the potential to repair DNA double
strand breaks. - J.Cell Sci. 2003, 116:4095- 4106.
J. Erenpreiss, K.Jepson, A.Giwercman, I.Tsarev, Je. Erenpreisa, M .Spano. Toluidine blue
cytomerty test for sperm DNA conformation: comparison with the flow cytometric sperm
chromatin structure and TUNEL assays. - Hum. Reprod., 2004, vol. 19, pp.
Erenpreisa J, Kalejs M, Ianzini F, Kosmacek EA, Mackey MA, Emzinsh D, Cragg MS, Ivanov
A, Illidge TM. Segregation of genomes in polyploid tumour cells following mitotic
catastrophe. - Cell Biol Int, 2005, 29: 1005-1011
Kalejs M, Ivanov A, Plakhins G, Cragg MS, Emzins Dz , Illidge TM, Erenpreisa Je.
Upregulation of meiosis-specific genes in lymphoma cell lines following genotoxic insult
and the induction of mitotic catastrophe. BMC Cancer, 2006, doi:
Erenpreiss J, Spano M, Erenpreisa J, Bungum M, Giwercman A. Sperm chromatin
structure and male fertility: biological and clinical aspects. - Asian J.
Androl., 2006, 8:11-29.
J.Erenpreisa, M.S.Cragg. Cancer: a matter of life-cycle?. - Cell Biol., 2007,
vol. 31, pp. 1507-1510.
- Je. Erenpreisa. Lysis of cell nuclei on perforated electron microscopic supports. - Microsc.Acta,
1982, vol. 85, pp. 369-371.
- Je. Erenpreisa et al. Apoptotic chromatin favours aggregation and fluorescence quenching
of DNA dyes. - Histochem. & Cell Biol., 1997, vol.108, pp. 67-75.
- Je.A. Erenpreisa. Organisation of the Chromatin in the Interphase Cell Nucleus, 1990, Riga:
Zinatne, 115 pp. (in Russian)
- Je. Erenpreisa et al. The chromatin network: Image analysis of differentiating chick
embryo chondrocytes. - Eur.J.Histochem., 1993, vol. 37, pp.139-147.
- Je. Erenpreisa et al. Influence of single-strand DNA breaks on ultrastructural and
cytochemical organisation of the tumour cell chromatin. - Bull.Exp.Biol.Med., 1988,
vol. 106, pp. 591-593 (in Russian, Engl. transl.).
- T Arshavskaya, Je. Erenpreisa, H.Roach. Differentiation and programmed death in Sa-45
tumour treated with bone inducer. - Cell Biol.Internat., 1994, vol. 18, pp.
- H.I. Roach, Je. Erenpreisa, T. Aigner. Osteogenic differentiation of hypertrophic
chondrocytes involves asymmetric cell divisions and apoptosis. - J.Cell Biol.,
1995, vol. 131, pp. 483-494.
- Je. Erenpreisa, H.I.Roach. Epigenetic selection as a possible component of
transdifferentiation. - Mech.Ageing & Devel., 1996, vol.87, pp.165-182.
- Je. Erenpreisa, H.I.Roach. Aberrant death in dark chondrocytes of the avian growth
plate. - Cell Death & Differ, 1998, vol.5, pp.60-66.
- Je. Erenpreisa et al. Arrest in metaphase and anatomy of mitotic catastrophe: mild heat
shock in two human osteosarcoma cell lines. - Cell Biol. Internat., 2000, vol.
24, pp. 61-70.
Participation in International Conferences:
45 European and International Congresses and Conferences, 1989-2006.
Present International collaboration -
- Prof. Dr. T. Illidge
(Paterson Cancer Research Institute, Manchester) - radiotherapy of resistant lymphomas.
- Dr. Mark Cragg (Wessex
Cancer Division) - resistant to therapy lymphomas, molecular methods.
- Prof. Dr. M. Hausmann (Kirchhoff
Inst. of Physics, Heidelberg) Cell nucleus structural FISH analysis
- Prof. A. Giwercman (Scanian
Andrology Centre, Lund University) sperm
chromatin structure in infertility analysis
- Dr. M. MacKey and Dr. F. Ianzini
(Dept Biomedical Engineer. and Dept. Radiat. Oncol. Iowa University) live
imaging of tumour cells
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. S.Matsumoto (Fac.
Education and Human Sci, Yokohama National University) physical chemistry of
Recent Research Projects:
Local (supported by the Latvian Council of Science ):
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Project). Significance of the Genome Oscillations in the
Programmed Cell Death (1994-1996).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Project, 1997 -) . Relationships Between Proliferation and
Apoptosis in Experimental Tumours After Genotoxic Insult. (Within State Program
"Malignant Tumours", 1996-1999).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Project). Sensitive Test for DNA Strand-Breaks: Its
Elaboration and Application to Detect the Early Apoptosis of Somatic and the Nuclear
Status of Sperm Cells (1997-1999).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Project). The Role of MOS/MAPK Pathway in the Genotoxic
Resistance of P53 Mutat Lymphoblastoid Tumors. (2001 - ).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Project). Natural Genotoxic Resistance of Malignant Tumors:
Mechanisms and Prognosis (2001 -2004 ).
- Je. Erenpreisa. Signalling, Repair of DNA Double-Strand Breaks and Their Relationship
with Apoptosis in Lymphoblastoid Cell Lines, with Different Resistance to Genotoxic Damage
(2005 - ).
- New skrinning instruments of anti-tumour drugs (2006 - ) State programme
English-Latvian FSU joint projects (supported by the Royal Society of London):
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Latvian Part of Project). Transdifferentiation of
Hypertrophic Chondrocytes Into Bone-Forming Cells (1993-1996).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Latvian Part of Project). The Role of Some Oncogenes in
Genome Reprogramming During Transdifferentiation (1997-1999).
- Je. Erenpreisa (Head of the Latvian Part of Project). The Role of Giant Cells in
Genotoxic Resistance of Lymphomas (2000-2002).
Bilateral Germany-Latvia BMBF project (2006-2007): Spatial organisation of
genomes and homologous chromosomes in endopolyploid tumour cells
USA-Latvian visits exchange project (2005):
Determination of clonogenic survival capacity and its origin in tumor cells
undergoing mitotic catastrophe: implication for radiation treatment (head of the Latvian
Last update 29.02.2008