Born: April 21, 1941, Jelgava, Latvia
- Organic Chemistry
- Organic Synthesis
- Ionic Liquids
- Heterocyclic compounds
Organic Synthesis including application of ionic liquids, polymer-supported catalysts
and reagents, etc. Chemistry of heterocyclic compounds.
Languages: Latvian, English, Russian, French..
- Riga Technical University (Faculty of Chemistry), 1964
- Dr.chem. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries), Riga
Technical University, 1969
- Dr.habil.chem. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Moscow Institute of Fine Chemical
- Head of the Laboratory of Organic Synthesis, Plant of Chemical Reagents, Olaine, Latvia,
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Latvia, 1975-1979
Research and Production Company Biolar, Latvia -
- Head of the Laboratory of Ion Exchange Resins, 1979-1985
- Deputy Director (research and development), 1985-1990
University of Latvia, Faculty of
- Professor, 1990-
- Dean, 1995- 2003
Honours and Awards
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998
- Latvian SSR State Prize, 1982.
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Gustavs Vanags Prize for series of works " Organic
synthesis in coherence with untraditional materials", 2007
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member, Latvian Society of Chemistry, 1990-
- Member (1990- ), and Chairman (1997- ), Council of Habilitation and Promotion (in
Chemistry), University of Latvia
- Member, Latvian Council of Science, 2003 -
- Chairman, Latvian Council of Science Expert
Committee for Chemistry, 2003 - 2007
- Member of the Expert Committee for Natural Science of the Latvian
Council of Science , 2007-
- European Federation of Catalysis Societies (EFCATS), Representative of the Republic of
- Polymer-bound Crown Ethers. Invited lecture. Gordon Research Conference Reactive
Polymers , Ion Exchangers and Adsorbents, July 31 - August 4, 1989, New Port, Rhode
University of Latvia:
- Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds, 2000
- Spectroscopy of Organic Compounds, 1990-
- Organic Chemistry, 1990-
- Methods of Organic Synthesis, 1992-
Published Papers: 250 (including 53 patents)
- I.Klimenkovs, I.Zhukovska, I.Uzulina, A.Zicmanis, A.Guyot. Maleic diamide
polymerizable surfactants. Application in emulsion polymerization. Compt. Rend.
Chimie, 2003, vol. 6, N 11-12, pp. 1295-1304.
- A.Guyot, A.Zicmanis. Polymerisable surfactants (surfmers) for emulsion polymerisation
production. In.: Surfactants in Polymers, Coatings, Inks and Adhesives.
Ed. D.R.Karsa. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2003, pp. 71-92.
- M.Campanati, S.Franceschini, O.Piccolo, A.Vaccari, A.Zicmanis. Catalytic
condensation of aromatic aldehydes with acetone on activated Mg-Al mixed oxides. Catalysis
Communications, 2004, vol. 5, pp. 145-150.
- M.Klavins, L.Eglite, A.Zicmanis. Immobilized humic substances as sorbents
- Chemosphere, 2006, vol. 62, pp. 1500-1506.
- A. Zicmanis, G. Vavilina, S. Drozdova, P. Mekss, M. Klavins. Alkylation of
ambident indole anion in ionic liquids. Centr. Eur. J. Chem., 2007, vol.
5, N 1, pp. 156-168.
Recent Research Projects (participation):
- Polymerizable and Polymeric Surfactants in Emulsion Polimerization for Water Borne
Coating, together with 9 partners, coordinator Prof. A.Guyot (CNRS, France),
- (Head of Project). Test Strips for Interference Studies, the project for the company Industrial
Test Systems, Inc., South Carolina, USA (2003-2007).
- (Head of Project). Investigation of the Impact Regularities of Ionic Liquids
Environmentaly Friendly Materials on Transformation Processes of Heterocyclic Compounds. University
of Latvia (2006- ).
- (Head of Project). Conversions of Ambident Anions in Ionic Liquid Media. Latvian
Council of Science (2005 - ).
Last update 20.11.2007