Born: August 21, 1944, Vecpiebalga, Latvia
- Environmental Policy
- Policy of Education
Languages : Latvian, German, Russian,
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Biology), 1972
- Dr.biol. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in
Western countries), University of Tartu, Estonia, 1978
- Dr.habil.biol. (Doctor of Science in former USSR),
Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolutionary Morphology of the USSR Academy of
- Researcher, Senior Researcher, Institute of Biology, 1972 -
- Head of the Laboratory of Hydrobiology, Institute of
Biology, 1989 - 1995 (Professor, 1993- )
- State Minister for Higher Education and Science, 1995 -
- Professor, University of Latvia, 1997 -
- Rector, Vidzeme University
College, Valmiera, Latvia, 2001 -
Honours and Awards :
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- Full Member (Academician), Latvian
Academy of Sciences, 1992
- The Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia Prize , 2004
- ECO -LATVIA (THERMOCLAD) -USA award for exploration of
small rivers, 1991
Professional Activities and Memberships :
- Member, Latvian Advisory Committee of International Science
Foundation, 1993 -1995
- Chairman, Latvian Council of
Science Expert Committee for Biology, Ecology, Geology and Geography, 1993 - 1995
- Editor for Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of
Sciences, Part B, Natural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, 1993 -1995
- Chairman, Commission at Higher Education Establishment in
- Chairman, UNESCO MAB Latvian National Committee, 1995 -
- Member, Societas Internationalis Limnologiae, 1985 -
University of Latvia -
- Limnology, Freshwater Biology, 1993 -
- Ecology and Environmental Policy, 1995 -
Recent/Representative Publications :
- R.Liepa, P.Cimdins, V.Rodinov. Eutrophication of small
lakes in Latvia. -Conservation and Management of Lakes, Budapest, 1988, pp .79 -87.
- R.Kukain, P.Tsimdin. Problems of ecological safety in
Latvia. Environmental management in the USSR., Moscow, pp. 74 -79.
- P.Cimdins. River typology: parameters for evaluation of
their environmental state. - Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences,1995, N
1/2, pp .99-106.
- P.Cimdins. Application of saprobity systems in ecological
studies of rivers. -Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences,1995, N 1/2, pp.
- P.Cimdins, I.Druvietis, R.Liepa, E.Parele, L.Urtane,
A.Urtans. Latvian catalogue of indicator species of freshwater saprobity. - Proceedings
of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1995, N1/2, pp. 122-133.
- M.Klavins, P.Cimdins. Well water quality in Latvia. -
J.Environmental Studies, 1996, vol. 50, pp. 41 -50.
- M.Klavins, P.Cimdins. Economy and environment in transition
societies: case study in Latvia. - Riga: University of Latvia, 1994, 78 pp.
- P.Cimdins, M.Klavins. Water quality and species diversity
of inland waters in Latvia. - Verh. Int. Verein. Limnol., 1998, vol. 26, part 3,
- P.Cimdins, I.Druvietis. The structure of periphyyton and
plankton biocenosis in Latvia's lakes. - Proc. 5th ICEF, 23-27 March, 2003, ETH
- M.Klavins, P.Cimdins. Water Quality and Its
Protection , 2004, Riga: LU, 208 pp. (in Latvian).
Research Projects :
- P.Cimdins (Head of Project). Biomonitoring of Freshwater
Ecosystems. Latvian Council of Science (1985 - 1991).
- P.Cimdins (Head of Project). Biodiversity of Freshwater
Ecosystems. Latvian Council of Science (1991-1995).
- P.Cimdins (Head of Project). Integrated
Biodiversity Strategies for Latvian Inland Waters. Latvian
Council of Science (2001- 2003).
- P.Cimdins (Head of Project). Inventorying
and Classification of Freshwater Biodiversity. Latvian
Council of Science (2004 - ).
Last update 30.08.2005