(06.04.1935 - 25.06.2006)
Born: April 6, 1935, Riga, Latvia
- Chemistry of Enamines, CT-Complexes, Quinone Imines,
- Chemistry of Cyclopentenones and Prostaglandins
- Chemistry of Petrochemicals (current)
- Petroleum Studies and Organoclays (current)
Main interests are, and will be connected with development
of oil research in Latvia and with relevant chemical investigations.
Languages: English, German, Russian,
Latvian, (some French)
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Chemistry), cum laude,
- Dr.chem. (Candidate of Sciences in former USSR, Ph.D. in
Western Countries), Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1962
- Dr.habil.chem. (Doctor of Sciences in former USSR), Latvian
Academy of Sciences, 1972; reaffirmed 1991
- Junior Researcher, Institute of Organic Synthesis, Latvian
Academy of Sciences, 1958-1963
- Senior Researcher, Institute of Organic Synthesis,
Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1963-1973
- Head of Research Team, Institute of Organic
Synthesis, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1973-1977
- Head, Laboratory of Prostaglandin Chemistry, Latvian
Institute of Organic Synthesis, 1977-1999
- Professor, 1981-
- Head of Group of Subsoil studies, 1999 -
Honours and Awards:
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1990
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of
- Latvian Academy of Sciences Presidium Award,
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences G.Vanags Prize (in
- USSR D.Mendeleyev Chemical Society Award, 1961,1974
- Latvian SSR State Prize, 1987
- The Sign in Memory of Barricades, 1996
- The Three Star Order (Republic of Latvia), 1999
- Enciclopaedia of Soviet Latvia, 1983, vol. 3, Riga: GER,(in
- Who is Who in Latvia (Biographical Dictionary), 1996, Riga:
V.Belokon (in Latvian, English).
- International Book of Honor, 4th Ed., 1996, ABI, Inc., 5th
- Five Thousand Personalities of the World, 5th Ed., 1996,
ABI, Inc., 6th ED., 1998
- Dictionary of International Biography, 25th Ed. 1997, 26th
Ed.1998, IBC, Cambridge (England).
- Marquis WHO-is-WHO in Science and Engineering, 4th Ed. 1998, Ed.:
Marquis Who's Who, NY, USA
- 2000 Outstanding People of the 20th Century, Ed. IBC, Cambridge,
1st Ed., 1998.
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Supervisor, 13 Dr.chem. Degree Thesis, 1969-1993
- Participation in Environmental Protection Activities in
- Member, Latvian Council of Science, 1990-1993
- Member, UNESCO Latvian National Committee, 1992-1995
- Member of Latvian Council of Science Expert Committee for
- Representative of Latvian Academy of Sciences in several
International Amaldi Conferences of the Academies, 1994-1997
- Member, Experts Group for the preparation of AMOCO/OPAB-Latvia
Oil Licence Agreement, 1994-1996
- Member, Experts Group for the preparation of Concept on
Development of Oil Production and Industry in Latvia, 1996-1997
- Member, American Chemical Society, 1997- 2001
- Member, Experts Group for the preparation of Petroleum pre-investigation, exploration
and production licensing in Latvia, 1997 - 2000
- Scientific Editor and Consultant of numerous scientific and
other books, 1968-1999
Lectures and Courses:
- Visiting Invited Lecturer or Professor - Moscow Institute
of Poligraphy (Riga branch), Wroclaw Technical University (Poland), Riga Technical
University , 1960-1986
- Courses or lectures in Physical Organic/Organic Chemistry,
Institute of Organic Synthesis, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1960-1988
- Organizing of the Latvian Popular Front (Movement for the
Liberation of Latvia),and participation in its Board, 1988-1991
- Member, the Supreme Council of the Republic of Latvia,
- Member of Board, Christian People Party/Christian Democratic Union, 1995-1998
- Member of People's Party, 1998 -
- Member of Riga City Council, 2001-
- Publicism activities in press, 1981 -
More than 600 scientific
papers in total. ( incl. 6 monographs and 38 Author's certificates/patents)
- J.Freimanis. Chemistry of Enaminoketones, Enaminoimines,
Enaminothiones, 1974, Riga: Zinatne, 274 pp. (in Russian).
- J.Freimanis. Progress and Some Prospests in
charge-Transfer-Complex Chemistry, 1978, Wroclaw Technical University, 79 pp. (in
- J.Freimanis. Organic Compounds with Intramolecular Charge
Transfer, 1985, Riga:Zinatne, 1985, 192 pp. (in Russian).
- J.Freimanis. Studies in Prostanoid Chemistry, 1992,
Riga:Latvian Inst. of Organic Synthesis, 72 pp. (in Latvian).
- J.Freimanis, E.Markava, et al. (Methylacylamino)azobenzene
derivatives for photoresponsive monomolecular layers. - Langmuir, 1994, Nr 9, pp.
- G.Sokolov, J.Freimanis, et al. Total synthesis and
properties of prostaglandins. 38. The synthesis of 11-deoxyprostaglandin E1
derivatives with amino acids and amines. -Bioorg. Khimiya, 1995, vol. 21, N 5, pp.
386-390 (in Russian).
- K. Dikovskaya, ... J.Freimanis, et al. Total Synthesis and
Properties of Prostaglandins. 40. The synthesis of beta-oxyaminovinylderivatives of
biciclyc gamma-lactones. - Khim. Geterotsikl. Soed., 1995, N 5, pp. 613-615 (in
- E. Loza, ....J.Freimanis. Enantiomeric enrichment of
partially resolved 4-hydroxy-2-carboxymethylcyclopentenone derivatives by achiral phase
chromatography. - J.Chromatogr. (A), 1995, vol. 708, pp. 231-243.
- J.Freimanis, I.Veinberga. The substrate enantioselectivity
of enzymatic reactions: cyclopentene-1-one-4-ol hydrolysis. alcoholysis, acylation. - Japan-Northern
Baltic Symposium on Synthetic Chemistry, June 25-26, 1996, Helsinki, Finland: Abstracts,
p. SOC6. K.Wahala, Helsinki, 1996.
- J.Freimanis. Petroleum market and oil processing
capabilities in Baltic Area. - Dienas Bizness (Daily Business, research article),
September 27, 1996 (in Latvian).
- J.Freimanis. World development trends of oil processing and
petrochemistry. - Dienas Bizness (Daily Business, research article), September 2, 1996
- J.Freimanis. relationship trend between science and the
state in Latvia after 1991. - Genoa Forum of UNESCO on Science and Society: Proceed. of
the 1st Reflection Meeting: Internat. Symposium on Science and Power, Genoa, Italy,
December 1-3, 1994// Technical Report N 25, 1996. pp. 95-97.
- J.Freimanis. Weaponry residues as a heritage of World War
II and the Soviet occupation in Latvian land and sea economic zone territories. In: IX
Amaldi Conference "Security Questions at the End of the 20th Century", Geneva,
November 21-23, 1996 , Switzerland. Report and Documentation, pp. 246-254. Published
by Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Italy, 1997.
- D.Lola, Ya.Freimanis, et al. Protolitic cleavage of
derivatives of 2,5-dimethoxy-2,5-dihydrofuran. - Chem.Heterocycl.Comp., 1997,
vol. 33, N 2, pp. 164-170.
- K.I.dikovskaya, T.V.Mazur, I.V.Turovsky, J.F.Freimanis,
M.P.Gavars. Total synthesis and properties of prostaglandins. 41. The synthesis of
protaglandins havind unusual structure. a-Alkoxymethylene derivatives of bicyclic
y-lactones. - J.Organ.Chem. (in Russian), 1997, vol.33, Nr.9, pp.1345-1349
- E.Loza, D.Lola, J.Freimanis. Rearrangement of
3-hydroxy-4-cyclopentenone derivatives to the corresponding 4-hydroxy-2-cyclopentenones in
the presence of choral hydrate-triethylamine. - Latvian Journal of Chemistry,
1998, Nr.1, pp.76-79.
- J.Freimanis. Organoclays and Some of Their Applications: a
Milestone Review, 2000, Riga: Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, 96
- J.Freimanis. Vermiculite Organoclays. - Latvian Journal
of Chemistry, 2001, N 3, pp. 284-300.
- J.Freimanis. Latvijas Naftas Hronika (Annals of Latvian
Oil), 2002, Riga: Latvijas Attistibas Agentura, 32 pp.(in Latvian).
- J.Freimanis, V.Stonkus. Reprocessing of used oils
in Latvia. - Latvian Journal of Chemistry, 2002, N 3, pp.303-316.(in
- J.Freimanis, A.Actins, A.Stinkule, R.Svinka, V.Svinka.
Organoclays from some Latvian clays. - Latvian Journal of Chemistry, 2003,
N 1, pp.60-77 (in Latvian).
- J.Freimanis, L.Hohlova, A.Actins, R.Svinka. Organoclays
from a Latvian smectite clay. - Latvian Journal of Chemistry, 2003, N 2,
- A.Ruplis, J.Freimanis, A.Actins, V.Lakevics. Colloid-chemical properties of LAtvian
clays. III. Sorption of hexane or carbon tetrachloride vapour on some organoclays. - Latvian Journal of Chemistry, 2004, N 4,351-363.
Other Representative Publications:
- J.Freimanis. Visu veju virpuli [Memuari]( All Winds'
Whirlpools/ view of a scientist - soldier of the Latvian Popular Front/Memoirs), 2002,
Riga: Nacionalais Apgads, 368 pp. (in Latvian).
J.Freimanis, as a principal researcher or a head of
laboratory conducted consolidated parts in 10 research projects within USSR or Latvian SSR
Academy of Sciences.
- J.Freimanis (Head of Project) . Prostanoids with
Unconventional Molecular Skeleton. Latvian Council of Science (1991-1993).
- J.Freimanis (Co-Head of Project). The Elaboration of
Synthetic Methods of New Surfactants for the Design of Polar Multilayers. Latvian
Council of Science (1991-1993).
- J.Freimanis (Head of Project). Formation Stereochemistry of
C-C (C-X) Bonds in Synthesis of Unusual Prostaglandin Analogues. Latvian Council of
- J.Freimanis (Head of Project). A Detailed Evaluation and
Practical Usage Analysis of Latvian Crude Oil Samples. Latvian Ministry of Education
and Science (1994-1995).
- J.Freimanis (Head of downstream part of Project).
Evaluation of Oil Resources and Prospects of Oil Industry in the Republic of Latvia. Latvian
Ministry of Economy (1996-1997).
- J.Freimanis (Head of Study in Latvian Institute of Organic
Synthesis). Research Programme "Latvian Land Resources and their Utilisation"
(Organoclays from Latvian Clays). Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000, 2001 -).
Born 1935, married 1959. Wife Arija Freimane, son Janis
(1960), daughter Ligita(1965). As a scientist happily survived the stormy
"awakening" (liberation) period in Latvia and the subsequent great science
changes since 1991, and maintained his sense of humour even when the faith in God seemed
to be the single way of active being.
At home enjoys book reading, playing piano and collection
of post cards, of course, being in love with his family - a source of confidence to all
Last update:30-10-2007 12:45:21