||Professor Romans KARKLINS
Hospitalu iela 27-18
Riga, LV 1013
Phone: + 371 9234876, +371 7374401
Fax: + 371 7578992
- Organic and Amino Acids
- Food Industry
- Premixes and Feed Additives for Agriculture
Languages: German, Latvian, Russian
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Chemistry), 1952
- Dr.chem. (Candidate of Science in former USSR), Institute of Wood
Chemistry, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1959
- Dr.habil.biol. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Latvian Academy
of Sciences, 1970
- Chief Engineer, Citric Acid Factory, Latvia,1952-1984
- Director, Experimental Plant of Biochemical Preparations, Latvia,
- Professor and Lecturer, Faculty of Chemistry, Riga Technical University, 1962-1999
- Professor and Lecturer, Institute of Qualification Improvement,
Honours and Awards:
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1978
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of
- Active Member, New York Academy of Sciences, 1994
- The USSR State Prize, 1952
- The Latvian SSR State Prize, 1965, 1980
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Presidium Award, 1973, 1976, 1980
- State Emeritus Scientist, 1997
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Chairman, Latvian Chemical Society, 1978 -1994
- Member of Board, Latvian Chemical Society, 1978 -
- Member of Board, Microbiological Society of Latvia, 1970-1990
- Member, Latvian Society of Biochemistry, 1978-1997
- Member, American Chemical Society, 1993 -
Recent/ Representative Publications:
- R.Karklins, A.Proboks. Biosynthesis of Organic Acids, 1972,
Riga: Zinatne, 197 pp. (in Russian).
- R.Karklins, M.Bekers, U.Viesturs, et al. Biotechnology of
Microbial Synthesis, 1980,
- Riga: Zinatne, 350 pp. (in Russian).
- R.Karklins, G.Liepins. Biosynthesis of Citric Acid, 1993, Riga:
Zinatne, 240 pp. (in Russian).
- R.Karklins, G.Liepins, J.Lemba. Biotechnology of Organic Acids, 2001,
Riga: Stampa Infoserviss, 205 pp.(in Latvian).
USSR Authors Certificates - 59
Patents (USA, United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Germany, France,
Italy, Australia, Argentina, Bulgaria, Rumania, India, Greece, Turkey, Hungary, Russia,
Latvia) - 48
The following know-how have been elaborated and introduced in
Latvia and abroad:
- technologies of Citric Acid , Itaconic Acid, Isocitric Acid, a -Ketoglutaric Acid and their active
- biostimulators and premixes for animal husbandry;
- enzyme preparations - Cellulase, Glucooxidase, Pectinase, Amilase
Licences sold - 10
Scientific publications - 290
- R.Karklins (Head of Project). Selection: Aspergillus Niger
and Aspergillus Terreus - Active Producers of Organic Acids. Latvian Council of
Science (1993 - 1996).
- R.Karklins, J.Lemba (Head of Project). Theory of Membrane
Processes and Ion Exchange, its Application in the Creation of Organic Acids and Their
Salt Technology. Latvian Council of Science (1993 - 1996).
- R.Karklins (Head of Project). Electrodialysis and Ion Exchange
Processes for Ecologically Pure Products of Biosynthesis. Latvian Council of Science
- R.Karklins (Head of Project). Ecologically Pure Organic Acids
Technology Using Membrane Processes. Latvian Council of Science (2005 - ).
Water sports, hunting, gardening.
Last update 11.02.2004