Born: March 8, 1952, Daugavpils, Latvia
- Mythology of the Balts
- Folklore of the Indo-Europeans and Finno-Ugrians
- Poetics of Poetry
- National Identity and Literature
Languages: Latvian, Russian, Estonian, English
- University of Tartu (Faculty of Philology) , Estonia, 1970 - 1975
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Philology), 1975 - 1976
- Dr. philol., (Candidate of Sciences in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries),
Institute of Literature, Folklore and Art, Riga,1982
- Dr. habil. philol., Institute of Literature, Folklore and Art, Riga, 1993
- Head of the Department of the Theory and History of Culture; Academy of Culture (1994 -
- Vice Rector; Academy of Culture (1995 - 1997)
- Professor , University of Latvia, 1997-
- Dean, Faculty of Philology,
University of Latvia, 1999 -.
Honours and Awards
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1994
- Full Member , Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1997
- Award of the Ministry of Culture, 1996
- Vilis Pludonis Prize in Literary Criticism, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998
- The Baltic Assembly Award, 1999
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member, Latvian Writers Union,
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board of Journal Letonica, 1998
- Member, Latvian Council of Science Expert Committee for
Latvian Folklore and Literature, Visiting Lecturer, University of West Michigan,
University of Stokholm
- Latvian Folklore
- Mythology of the Balts
- Ugro - Finnish Folklore
- Folklore and Literature
- Theory of Literature
- Latvian Literature (1900- 1930 )
Recent/ Representative Publications
- Versification of Latvian Poetry at the Beginning of the 20th Century, 1988, Riga:
Zinatne Press, (in Latvian).
- Poetics of Rainis Poetry, 1996, Riga: Zinatne Press, (in Latvian).
- Latvian Folklore and Myths, 1996, Riga: Zinatne Press, (in Latvian).
- Mythological in Folklore, Literature, Arts, 1999, Riga:Zinatne Press, (in
- The Dictionary of Poetry (Dzejas vardnica), 2002, Riga:Zinatne Press, (in
- J. Kursite( Head of Project). Dictionary of Symbols of Latvian Folklore. Latvian
Council of Science (1999 -2000 ).
- J.Kursite (Head of Project). The Processes of Latvian Culture and History in the Baltic
Context. Latvian Council of Science (1999-2000).
- J. Kursite( Head of Project). Baltic Mithology. Latvian Council of Science (2001-2004
- J. Kursite( Head of Project). Baltic Mithology II. Latvian Council of Science (2005
- J. Kursite. The National Identity and Literature in Europe in the 19th Century. The
International Project, University of Stokholm.
Hobbies: to be on vacation with my family; reading interesting
books & detective stories
Last update 29.11.2002