Born: December 6, 1944, Riga, Latvia
- Physical Aspects of Optical Information Recording, Processing and Transmission
- Nonlinear Optics
- Pulsed Laser Spectroscopy
Brief description of main research:
I have investigated both experimentally and theoretically the photoinduced processes in
KBr, KCl and NaCl crystals with colour centres, in electrooptic LiNbO3:Fe
crystals, in amorphous As-S and As-Se chalcogenide films. The obtained results were used
to optimise the optical information recording in these materials. The non-linear processes
in optical glass fibres and planar waveguides have also been studied. The most important
results include: the development of the theory of thin amplitude-phase gratings; the
deduction of properties and mechanisms of coherent, incoherent and relaxational hologram
self-enhancement effects in above mentioned materials; the development of optical methods
for spatially resolved F-centre diffusion studies; the deduction and explanation of the
picosecond processes in As-S and As-Se films; the discovery and the explanation of the
strong structure relaxation effects on the holographic recording in amorphous chalcogenide
films; the discovery, properties and mechanism of the sub-band-gap light holographic
recording in amorphous chalcogenide films; the first realization of the efficient
transient millisecond pulse recording in amorphous semiconductor films. I have also
studied polarization holograms and difraction anisotropy in a-As-S-Se films. The experimental studies of the holographic properties of azobenzene
oligomers have been demonstrated their superior properties with respect on vector hologram
recording when compared to amorphous chalcogenides. In 2004 successful phase conjugation
studies of a-As-S-Se films have been performed.
Languages: English, German, Russian, Latvian, Finnish.
- University of Gorky (now Nizhny Novgorod) (Faculty of Radiophysics), Russia, 1968
- Postgraduate, Institute of Physics, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1979
- Dr.phys. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, PhD in Western countries), Institute of
Physics, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1980
- Dr.habil.phys. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Institute of Physics, Latvian Academy
of Sciences, 1991
- Senior Engineer, University of Latvia, 1972-1973
- Senior Engineer, Junior Researcher, Institute of Physics, Latvian Academy of Sciences,
- Visiting Researcher, University of Essen, Germany, 1982-1983
- Senior Researcher, Leading Researcher, Institute of Physics, Latvian Academy of
- Leading Researcher, Institute of Solid State Physics, University of Latvia, 1993-1994
- Associate Professor, Riga Technical University, 1991-1994
- Visiting Researcher, Department of Physics, University of Joensuu, Finland, 1992-1993
- Professor, University of Latvia , 1994-2000
- Professor, Riga Technical University, 1998 -
Honours and Awards:
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Chairman, Professorial Council in Astronomy and Physics, Riga Technical University, 2001
- Member, International Society for Optical Engineering
- Chairman of the Program Committee of the International Conferences on Advanced Optical
Materials and Devices (1996)
- Member, Promotion Council in Electronics and Telecommunications, Riga Technical
- Member, Latvian Physical Society
- Member, Latvian Professor Association
- Member, Editorial Board of the Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences.
Riga Technical University:
- General Physics
- Communication Theory
- Advanced Communication Theory
- Optical Information Processing Physics
- K.Schwartz, A.Ozols. Holography - Revolution in Optics. Riga: Zinatne, 1975,
208 p. (in Latvian)
- A.Ozols. Diffraction efficiency of thin amplitude-phase holograms. - Optika I
Spectroscopiya, 1977, vol.42, 1, pp.93-96
- A.Ozols, , M.Reinfelde. Relaxational self-enhancement of holographic gratings in
amorphous As2 S3 films. - J.Applied Physics, 1994, vol.75, 7,
- O.Salminen, P.Riihola, A.Ozols, T. Viitala. Spatially resolved optical studies of
F-center diffusion in KBr Crystals. - Physical Review B. Condensed Matter, 1996,
vol. 53, N 10, pp. 6129-6136
- A.Ozols, N.Nordman, O.Nordman. Effect of structure relaxation on the holographic
recording in amorphous As2S3 films. - Optics Communication,
1997, vol.136, 5-6, pp.365-369
- A.Ozols, N.Nordman, O.Nordman, P.Riihola. New mechanism for holographic recording in
amorphous chalcogenide films using sub-band-gap light. - Physical Review B. Condensed
Matter, 1997, vol. 55, N 21, pp. 14236-14244.
- A.Ozols, N.Nordman, O.Nordman. Two-color holographic grating formation in amorphous As2S3
films. - J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 1998, vol.15, N 9, pp. 2355-2360
- O.Nordman, A.Ozols, N.Nordman. Diffraction efficiency oscillations in amorphous As2S3
films. - J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 1999, vol.16, N 4, pp.631-636.
- A.Ozols, O.Nordman, N.Nordman. Holographic manifestations in D centres in amorphous As2
S3 films. - Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, 1999, vol.150,
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde, O.Nordman. Photoinduced anisotropy and holographic recording in
amorphous chalcogenides. - Proc. SPIE, 2001, vol. 4415, pp. 1-10.
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde. Holographic properties of dielectric crystals and amorphous
semiconductor films. - Proc. SPIE, 2001, vol.4358, pp.64-75
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde, J.Teteris. Effect of reflections on phase hologram recording in
amorphous As-S-Se films. - Radiation Effects&Defects in Solids, 2002, vol. 157,
- A.Ozols, V.Kampars, M.Reinfelde, V.Kokars. Hologram recording in azobenzene oligomers. -
Proc. SPIE, 2003, vol. 5123, pp.102-109.
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde. Theoretical and experimental studies of light diffraction
anisotropy by holograms in a-As-S-Se films. - Proc. SPIE, 2003, vol. 5123,
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde. Polarization holograms and diffraction efficiency in amorphous
chalcogenides. Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 2004, vol.6,
issue 3, pp.134-141.
- A.Ozols, S.Lazarevs. Peculiarities of holographic recording in a-AS40S15Se45
films at millisecond exposures. Ukrainian Journal of Physics, 2004, vol.49,
No 4, pp.310-312.
- J.Porins, A.Ozols, G.Ivanovs, J.Eimuss. Nonlinear optical losses in telecommunication
fibres. Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences, 2004, No 4,
- A.Ozols, M.Reinfelde, V.Kampars, V.Kokars.
Structure optimization of azobenzene oligomers for holography. Phys. Status Sol.
C, 2005, vol.2, issue 1, pp.673-676.
- A.Ozols, Dm.Saharovs, M.Reinfelde.
Holographic recording in amorphous As2S3 films at 633 nm. - J. Non-Cryst. Solids,
2006, vol. 352, pp. 2562-1656.
- D.Saharov, A.Ozols, V.Kampars, V.Kokars, J.Kreicberga, S.Ratyeva. Influence of
chromophore group concentration on the holographic properties of spin-coated azobenzene
oligomers. - Latvian J. Physics & Technical Sci., 2006, N 2 (1), pp.
- Head of Project. Holographic Recording Processes in Inorganic Materials and Holographic
Optical Elements. Latvian Council of Science,
- Head of Project. Optically Induced Processes and Structural Changes in Chalcogenide
Semiconductor Films at Picosecond Laser Excitation. Latvian Council of Science,
- Head of Project. Photoinduced, Thermoinduced and Relaxation Processes in Amorphous
Chalcogenide Semiconductors and Alkali Halide Crystals. Latvian Council of Science,
- Head of Project. Photoinduced and Electron-Induced Processes in Amorphous
Semiconductors. Latvian Council of Science, 1996-2000.
- Head of Project. Dynamic Holograms in Amophous Chalcogenide Semiconductors and
Azobenzene Oligomers. Latvian Council of Science, 2001-2004.
- Head of Project. Holographic Recording and Phase Conjugation in Materials with Complex
Photorefraction. Latvian Council of Science, 2005-
Last update 26.02.2007