Born: October 12, 1940, Riga, Latvia
- Physics of Optical Glasses, Radiation Processes in Glasses, Point Defects in Fused
- Spectroscopic Investigation of Intrinsic and Impurity Defects in Fused Silica
- Development of Geometric and Electronic Models of Defects
- High Temperature Point Defect Generation and Recombination Mechanisms
- Radiation Processes in Fused Silica
Languages: Latvian, Russian, English
- University of Latvia, Riga, 1963
- State University, Moscow, 1966
- Candidate of Physics and Mathematics (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in
Western countries), University of Latvia, Riga, 1972
- Dr.habil.phys. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), University of Latvia, 1984
University of Latvia:
- Junior researcher, Semiconductor Physics Problem Laboratory, 1966-1967
- Postgraduate (Ph.D. Student), 1967-1970
- Head of Division, Semiconductor Physics Problem Laboratory, 1971-1978
- Vice-Director, Institute of Solid State Physics, 1978-1984
- Director, Institute of Solid State Physics, 1984-1992
- Professor, Institute of Solid State Physics, 1991 -
- Professor, University of Latvia, 1996 -
Latvian Academy of Sciences:
- Secretary General, 1992 - 2001
- Vice-president, 2001-
- Member of Parliament (Saeima) of the Republic of Latvia, 1993-1995
Honours and Awards
- Award of Honour for Achievements in Teaching Young Scientists, Latvian Ministry of
- Medal for Achievements in the People Education, Latvian Ministry of Education, 1990
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1990-1992
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Chairman (1991-1992, 1998-1999), Vice-chairman (1990-1991, 1997-1998), Member (1992-
), Latvian Council of Science
- Member, American Physical Society, 1990-
- Member, International Society for Optical Engineering, 1993-1994
- Member, Latvian Physical Society, 1991-
- Chairman, Editorial Advisory Board of the "Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of
Sciences", 1992 -
- Member of International Advisory Board, Excellence Centre of Advanced Material Research
and Technology at the Institute of Solid State Physics, University of Latvia (CAMART),
European Commission, 2001 2004
- The possibilities to use the intrinsic defects optical properties for optoelectronics in
fused silica. Invited lecture. NATO Advanced Research Workshop PANCSO'96,
Chisinau, Moldova, 1996.
University of Latvia:
- Physics of optical glasses,
- Optical properties of solid materials
- Physics in general
- A.R.Silins. Defects in glasses. - Rad.Effects and Defects in Solids, 1995,
- A.R.Silins. Thermally induced point defects in fused silica. - Glastechnishe
Berichte-Glass Sci. Technol., 1994, vol.67C, pp.14-18
- A.R.Silins, L.A.Lace. Influence of stoichiometry on high temperature intrinsic defects
in fused silica. - J.Non-Crystalline Solids, 1992, vol.149, pp.54-61
- A.R.Silins. Light-induced ionic processes in optical oxide glasses. - J.
Non-Crystalline Solids, 1991, vol.129, pp.40-45
- A.R.Silins, A.N.Trukhin. Point Defects and Elementary Excitations in Crystalline and
Glassy SiO2.. Riga: Zinatne, 1985, 244 pages (in Russian)
- A. Silins. Point Defects in the Glass Network. - Glass Science and Technology, 1998,
vol. 71C, pp. 61-66.
- A..Silins, L. Lace, A.Lukjanska. Point Defect Equilibrium Concentrations at High
Temerature in Fused Silica. - Latv. J. of Phys. and Techn. Sci., 1999, N 5, pp.
- L.Skuja, H.Hosono, M.Mizuguchi, B.Guttler, A.R.Silins. Site-selective study of the 1,8
eV luminiscence band in glassy GeO2. - J. Lum., 2000, vol. 87, pp.
- A.Silins. Defect generation in fused Silica under high intensity laser interaction.
In: Laser Induced Damage in Optical Materials, Boulder: The Intern.
Society for Optical Engineering, 2000, vol.4347, pp.207-211.
- A.Silins. Point defects in optical glasses. Proceedings of XIX International
Congress on Glass, Invited Papers, Edinburgh: Society of Glass Technology, Edinburgh
Internat. Conference Centre, Scotland, July 1-6, 2001, pp.215-222.
- A.Silins. Role of non-metallic molecules in fused silica glasses. Proceedings
of 6th ES6 Conference, Montpellier, France, June 2-6, 2002, p.107.
- A.Silins. Water in fused silica glasses. Glass Science and Technology, 75
C2, 2003, pp. 19-23.
- A.Silins, I.Klavins. Non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation and environmental security.
In: Defence and the Environment: Effective Scientific Communications, Kenver
Ac. Publish., 2004, pp.111-117.
- A. Silins. New borders of science under globalization. - In: Latvia in Europe:
Visions of the Future, 2004, Riga: Baltic Center for Strategic Studies, Latvian
Academy of Sciences, pp.87-103.
- A.Silins (Expert). IRC- LATVIA Nr.IRC 4.60. Innovation Relay Center in
Latvia. European Commission (2000 -2004).
- A.Silins (Team member; Head of Project - Dr.habil.phys. L.Skuja). Investigation of Point
Defects in Wide-gap Glassforming Materials for Microelectronics, Optical Waveguides and
Laser Optics. Latvian Council of Science (2001-2004).
- A.Silins (Expert). LATIRC, Innovation Relay Center in Latvia. European Commission (2004
Avocations: Volleyball, gardening, children
education and apiculture
Last update 22.08.2005