EDGAR A. SILINSH*
|Professor Edgar A. Silinsh
Phone: +371 255 8640
Born: March 21, 1927, Ligatne, Latvia
Dead: May 26, 1998
Languages: English, Latvian, Russian - fluent, German - working level
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Physics and Mathematics), 1961
- Dr.phys. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in few Western countries), Vavilov's Institute of Optics, St.Peterburg, Russia, 1965
- Dr. habil. phys. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), St.Peterburg University, Russia, 1979;
- Professor (Solid State Physics), Supreme Attestation Comission of the former USSR system, 1985
- Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Physics of Semiconductors, University of Latvia, 1963 - 1967
- Head, Laboratory of Physics of Organic Semiconductors (since 1996 - Laboratory of Organic Solid Physics and Molecular Electronics), Institute of Physical Energetics, 1967-1998
Honours and Awards
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1991-1992
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Grand Medal, 1997
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences M.Keldish Prize in physics, 1984
- Chairman, Latvian Academy of Sciences Board of the Library Council
- Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, Senate
- Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, Membership Commission of LAS
- Member, Latvian Council of Science Expert Coommission for Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy
- Editorial Advisory Board: Molecular Materials
- Chairman, International Jury Commission of the Baltic Assembly Prize, 1994-1996
- Member, American Physical Society, 1994
- Member, Riga Rotary Club
- Visiting professor, Institute for Molecular Science, Okazaki, Japan, 1985; 1996
- Visiting professor, Institute of Chemistry of the Academia Sinica, Beijing, China, 1988
- Visiting professor, Laboratory of Molecular Materials, ESPCI, Paris, France, 1993-1994
- A series of guest lectures at the universities and scientific centres in USA (1988;1992); England (1978); Germany (1980;1983; 1994); Japan (1979; 1988; 1989; 1991; 1996); Sweeden (1991)
- Some Philosophical Problems of Modern Physics. - The Latvian Academy of Sciences Grand Medal Winner's Academic Lecture, Latvian Academy of Sciences, November 21, 1997.
- Organic solid state physics, organic materials science, molecular electronics, University of Latvia (for BS and MS) and PhD students, Institute of Physical Energetics
- Physics and chemistry of new organic materials, for MS and doctors
- Organic Molecular Crystals, Their Electronic States. Berlin-Heidelberg, N.Y: Springer-Verlag, 1980, 389 pp.
- Electronic Processes in Organic Molecular Crystals. Riga: Zinatne, 1988,.(in Russian) [with M.Kurik, V.Capek] 329 p
- Organic Molecular Crystals: Interaction, Localization, and Transport Phenomena. N.Y: AIP Press, 1994, .[with V.Capek] 402 p
- Search for the Great Truths. Riga: Jumava, 1999, 511 pp.
- Molecular polaron states in polyacene crystals: formation and transfer processes. Chem. Phys., 1995, vol.198, 311-331 [with A.Klimkāns, S.Larsson, V.Capek]
- Dynamics of electronic polarization in molecular crystals. Chem.Phys., 1995, vol.200, 309-318. [with V.Capek]
- Determination of enegy gap values in organic molecular crystals. I: Optical and photoelectric methods. Molecular Materials, 1995, 5, pp.1-24 [with M.Bouvet, J.Simon].
- Determination of enegy gap values in organic molecular crystals. II:: Intrinsic dark conductivity and electrochemical methods. Molecular Materials, 1995, 5, pp.255-277 [with M.Bouvet, J.Simon].
- Photoactive molecular multilayer Langmuir-Blodgett (LB) films of oriented dipolar betaine type organic molecules. Photoactive Organic Materials; Science and Applications; ed.by F.Kajzar, V.M.Agranovich and C.Y.-C.Lee. 1996, 375-392
- Charge carrier as electronic and molecular polarons in organic solids. Formation and transfer processes: Electrical and Related properties of Organic Solids, ed.: R.W.Munn et al. Dordrecht/Boston/London, Kluwer Acad. Publishers, 1997, pp. 133-155.
- Organic molecular materials for non-linear optics (NLO), Proceedings SPIE - the Interantional Society for Optical Engineering, Optical Organic and Semiconductor Inorganic materials: International Conference on Advanced Optical Materials and Devices, Riga, Latvia, 26-29 August, 1996, ed. E.A.Silinsh et. al., 1997, Vol. 2968, pp. 2-12.
- Head, "Self-organizing photo-active molecular multilayer assemblies: design and research for specific applications in non-linear optics and molecular electronics", supported by Latvian Council of Science, 1997-2000
- Co-ordinator of the National Programme "New advanced materials for microelectronics and photonics: synthesis, research and development", supported by Latvian Council of Science, 1997-2000
- Co-ordinator of the Joint research project : "Gas sensors: mechanisms of charge transport in thin films of molecular materials in presence of a gas" (France-Latvia), supported by CNRS grant, beginning 1997
- Co-ordinator of the Joint research project "Charge carrier generation and transport processesin organic crystals and molecular assemblies" (Japan- Latvia), supported by Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS), 1996-1999
Last update 28.09.1999