Born: December 16, 1929, Russia
Departed: December 29, 2003, Riga, Latvia
- Theoretical Mechanics
- Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Technology of Composite Structures
- Application of Composite Structures in Oil Production Industry
Brief Description of Main Research:
The basic scientific results are connected with the development of structural design
methods for spatially reinforced composites and winding mechanics, study of different test
methods and technology of composite structures in oil production industry.
Languages: Russian. Latvian, German, English
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering) cum laude, 1952
- Dr.sc.ing. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries), University
of Latvia, 1957
- Dr.habi.sc.ing.(Doctor of Science in former USSR), Moscow Institute for Problems of
Mechanics, USSR Academy of Sciences, Russia, 1967
- Professor, Supreme Attestation Commission of the USSR, 1969
- Researcher, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1954-1963
- Head of Laboratory of Composite Structures, Institute of Polymer Mechanics, Latvian
Academy of Sciences, 1963-2000; Consultant, 2000 -
- Professor, Faculty of Chemistry, Riga Technical University, 1969-2003
Honours and Awards
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1987-1990
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1990
- Latvian SSR State Prize, 1965
- USSR State Prize, 1985
- Merited Scientist of Latvian SSR, 1990
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Fridrich Canders Prize in Mechanics, 1998
- State Emeritus Scientist, 2000
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member, National Committee for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Russia, 1985
- Member, International Committee for Composite Materials (ICCM), 1973
- Editorial Advisory Board for Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures (USA)
and Mechanics of Composite Materials (Latvia, USA)
- Member, Expert Commission for Machine Engineering, Latvian Council of Science
- Invited lectures on composites at universities and scientific centres of the United
Kingdom (1993), Norway (1995) and USA (1989, 1995)
- Mechanics and Technology of Composite Materials, Riga Technical University, 1964 - 1998
- Tarnopolskii Yu. M., Kincis T. Ya. Static Test Methods for Composites.
New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1985, 301 pp.
- Handbook of Composites, Vol. 2, Structures and Design. Eds. C.T. Herakovich (USA) and Yu.
M. Tarnopolskii (Latvia), Amsterdam: North Holland, Netherlands, 1989,
- Structural Composites. Eds. V. V. Vasiliev and Yu. M. Tarnopolskii. Moscow:
Mashinostroyenie, 1990, 502 pp. (in Russian)
- Tarnopolskii Yu. M., Zhigun I. G., Polyakov V. A. Spatially Reinforced
Composites. Technomic Publishing Co., Inc., 1993, 341 pp.
- Composites Engineering Handbook. Ed. P. K. Mallick (Chapter 10), New York: Marcel
Dekker, 1997, pp.515-548.
- Yu.M.Tarnopolskii, S.T.Peters, A.I.Beil. Tilament Winding. - In: Handbook
of Composites (ed. S.Peters), Chapter 21, 1998, London: Chartman&Hall, pp.
- Yu.M.Tarnopolskii, V.L.Kulakov. Mechanical Tests. - In: Handbook of
Composites (ed. S.Peters), Chapter 34, 1998, London: Chartman&Hall, pp. 778-793.
- Tarnopolskii Yu. M., A. K. Arnautov, Kulakov V. L. Methods of Determination
of Shear Properties of Textile Composites. Composites Part A: Applied Science and
Manufacturing, 1999, Vol. 30, pp. 879-885.
Tarnopolskii Yu. M., Kulakov V. L., and Arnautov A. K.
Measurements of shear characteristics of textile composites. Computes &
Structures, 2000, Vol. 76, pp. 115-123.
- Yu.Tarnopolskii (Head of Latvian Part of Project). JOULE-2 (Test Methods for Composite
Materials). European Commission (1993-1995)
- Yu. Tarnopolskii ( Head of Project). Applied Problems in the Mechanics of Composites
Rods and Pipelines with Complex Reinforcement Schemes. Latvian Council of Science
- Yu.Tarnopolskii (Executive of Program). Research of Composite Materials, Technology and
Rational Application in Industrial Development. C. Structural Elements Made of Composite
Materials. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2001).
- Yu. Tarnopolskii ( Head of Project). Methods of Evaluation of Load-Carrying Capacity of
Structural Members of Textile Composites. Latvian Council of Science (2001- )
Last update: 30-10-2007 12:46:22