||Dr. Vitalijs ZELCHS
Professor of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology,
Chairman of Geomorphology and Geomatics
Department of Geography
Faculty of Geographical and
University of Latvia
19 Rainis Blvd.
Riga, LV 1586
10 Alberta iela
Phone: + 371 7 332 566
Fax: + 371 7 332 704
Born: July 3, 1952, Briezhciema
pagasts, Balvu rajons, Latvia
- main field: Glacial
- other fields: Geomorphology
- current: Development
of Proglacial and Subglacial Palaeoenvironments, Depositional and Landforming Processes
During Weichselian Glaciation
Languages: Latvian, English, Russian
- Latvian State University of (Faculty of Geography), diploma -
geographer with distinction, 1970-1975
- M.Lomonosow Moscow State University (Faculty of Advanced Studies),
Landscape and Regional Geography, 1980
- MSc Geogr., University of Latvia, 1992
- Dr.geol., University of Latvia (Faculty of Geography), 1993
- Geologist, all-Union Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics, Riga,
- Assistant Lecturer, Faculty of Geography, University of Latvia, 1975-1977
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Geography, University of Latvia, 1978-1992
- Docent, Faculty of Geography, University of Latvia, 1993-1998
- Dean of the Faculty of Geographical and Earth Sciences, University of
- Visiting Professor and Researcher at the Geology Department of Western
Michigan University, Kalamazoo, USA, 1994
- TEMPUS PHARE Individual Mobility Grant Holder, Department of Geography,
University of Plymouth, UK, 1995
- Head of the Board of the Faculty of Geographical and Earth Sciences,
- Associate Professor of Glacial Geology, 1999-2001
- Chairman of the Geomorphology and Geomatics, Department of
Geography, University of Latvia, 1999-
- Professor of Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology, 2002-
Honors, Awards, Fellowships
- Corresponding Member of Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2000-
- The PAGES, Conference Travel Grant, 2000
- Stipendium im Rahmen des Soderprogramms Osteuropa, Switzerland, 1994-1995
- TEMPUS PHARE Individual Mobility Grant, 1995
- Ministry of Education and Science of Republic of Latvia Award, 1990
- SOROS Foundation-Latvia, Conference Travel Grant, 1995
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Corresponding Member of the The INQUA Commission on
Terrestrial Processes, Deposits, and History (TERPRO), 2007-
- Leader of the Peribaltic Working Group, International Association for Quaternary
Research (INQUA) TEPRO Commision, 2003-2007
- Vice-President, Commission on Glaciation of the International Association for Quaternary
Research (INQUA), 1999-2003
- Member of Advisory Board of Geology Series of Proceedings of Estonian Academy of
Sciences (since 2007 Estonian Journal of Earth Sciences), 1997-
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Journal on Geology of the
circum-Baltic States "Baltica", 2004-
Member of the Editorial Board of Akademiska
- Head of the Doctoral Board in Geology, University of Latvia, 2006 -
- Editor-in-chief of Series in Earth and Environmental Sciences of Acta Universitatis
- Head of the Academic Committee of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Medicine at the
University of Latvia, 2001-2007
- Vice-Chairman of the Senate of the University of Latvia , 2000-
- Chairman, Latvian National INQUA (LatQUA) Committee, 1998-
- Chair, Latvian National INQUA Committee, 1998-
- Expert in Geology, Expert Committee for Biology, Earth
and Environmental Sciences, Latvian Council of Science, 1997- 2007
- Member, Tutorial Board of Study Programs in Geography, 1994-
- Member, Tutorial Board of Study Programs in Geology, 2000 -
- Full Member of the Geography Society of Latvia,
Number of communications to international scientific congresses, meetings and
symposiums - 70
Number of communications to national scientific meetings - 82
- Main Outlines of Geology of Latvia. Invited lecture. Geology
Department at Western Michigan University, April 25, 1994.
- Geological Investigations and Curriculum Development in Earth Sciences at
the University of Latvia. Geology Department at Western Michigan University, April
- Curricula development in Geography, Geology and Environmental Science at
the Faculty of Geographical and Earth Sciences, University of Latvia. - University of
Plymouth, UK, May 5, 1995.
- The Physical Geography and Environment of Latvia. Invited lecture. - University
of Plymouth, UK, May 12, 1995.
- Geomorphological investigations in Latvia. - Baltic Conference on History
of Science, Riga, January 18, 1996.
- Research projects of specific and sensitive coastal areas in Latvia.
Invited lecture. -NorFA Network Specific and Sensitive Coastal environments
of the Baltic Sea opening meeting, Tallinn, March 8, 1997.
- Glaciotectonic structures and landforms as indicators of deglaciation in
Latvia. - Invited lecture. Conference and Field Excursion on Areal versus Frontal
Deglaciation of the Vistulian Ice Sheet. - Poznan, Adam Mickiewicz
University, Poland, September 21-25, 1998.
Structure and role of till in composition of drumlins and ribbed
moraines in Latvia. - Invited lecture. Symposium and Research course: Till genesis and
morphology, May 11-17, 2001. Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology,
- Main features of glaciotectonics in glacial lowlands and disintegration
of continuous cover of till. - Invited lecture. Symposium and Research course: Till
genesis and morphology, May 11-17, 2001. Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary
Geology, Stockholm University.
University of Latvia -
- Geomorphology, BSGeog, BSGeol, BSEnv study programs, 1990-
- Environmental Geomorphology, MSGeog, BSEnv study programs, 2000-
- Geology and Geomophology of Latvia, BSGeog, BSGeol study programs, 2003-
- Glacial Geology, MSGeog, MSGeol study programs, 2003-
- Quaternary Geology, BSGeo study program, 2007-
- Quaternary Geology, BSGeo study program, 2008-
Total number of
Publications - 426:
Number of Scientific Publications -
Number of Educational Publications - 22
Rinterknecht V. R., Clark P. U., Raisbeck G. M., Yiou F., Bitinas A., Brook E.
J., Marks L., Zelcs V., Lunkka J.-P., Pavlovskaya I. E., Piotrowski J. A. and Raukas A.,
2006. The Last Deglaciation of the Southeastern Sector of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet.
Science, 311, 10 March 2006, 1449-1452.
- Saks T., Kalvans A., Zelcs V., 2007.
Structure and micromorphology of glacial and non-glacial deposits in coastal bluffs at
Sensala, Western Latvia. Baltica, 20(1-2), 19-27.
- Kalvans A., Saks T., Zelcs V., 2007. 2D analysis of apparent till micro fabrics in thin
sections: An example from Western Latvia. Quaternary International, 167-168,
Supplement 1. Abstracts the XVII INQUA Congress 2007, Australia, 28 July - 3 August
- Zelcs V., Saks T., Kalvans A., 2007. Towards revised Pleistocene stratigraphy of Western
Latvia, the Eastern Baltic. Quaternary International, 167-168, Supplement 1.
Abstracts the XVII INQUA Congress 2007, Australia, 28 July - 3 August 2007, 0656.
- Zelchs V., Markots A., 2004. Deglaciation history of Latvia. In: Ehlers J.,
Gibbard P. L. (eds.). Extent and Chronology of Glaciations, v.1 (Europe).
- V.Zelchs, A.Dreimanis, 1997. Morphology, internal structure and genesis of the Burtnieks
drumlin field, Northern Vidzeme, Latvia. J. Sedimentary Geology, 111, pp.
- A.Dreimanis, V.Zelchs, 1995. Pleistocene stratigraphy of Latvia. In: Glacial
Deposits in North-East Europe (J.Ehlers, S.Kozarski, Ph. Gibbard - eds.), 1995,
Rotterdam/Brookfeld:A.A.Balkema, pp. 105-113.
- V.Zelchs, A.Markots, 1999. The use of geological information for spatial planning.
Zalktis, Riga, 126 pp. (in Latvian).
- Developing an Improved Event Chronology of the Late
Weichselian Deglaciation of the Inner Zone of the Southern Margin of the Scandinavian Ice
Sheet: Leader of the Project No. 2007/ZP-87, University of Latvia, 2007-2009.
- Glacial geology at the Baltic Sea bluffs between Sensala and Pavilosta, and the vicinity
of Ziemupe, western Kurzeme, Latvia. Head of the Project No. 2006/1-229717, University
of Latvia, 2006
- Development of Proglacial and Subglacial Palaeoenvironments, Depositional and
Landforming Processes During Weichselian Glaciation in Latvia. Head of the Project
No. 05.1498, Latvian Council of Science , 2005-2008
- International field symposium on Quaternary Geology and Modern Terrestrial Processes in
western Latvia, September 12-17, 2004. Head, INQUA TEPRO Commission project No. 0417, 2004
- Developing an improved chronology of the southern margin of the Scandianvian ice sheet. Co-Principal
Investigator of Collaborative Research Project funded by US-National Science Foundation,
- Correlation of the Weichselian Glacial Events in the Peribaltic Region: Subglacial
Processes, Sediments and Landforms with Special Reference to Ice Movement Dynamics and
Directions. National Coordinator of the INQUA Peribaltic Working Group Project,
- Central European Glaciotectonic Mapping Project (CEGMP). National Coordinator of the
INQUA Geospatial Analysis of Glacial Environment (GAGE) Working Group Project, 1995-2003
- Ice Flow Directions during Late Weichselian Glaciation of Latvia. Head of the Project
No. 04.0417, Latvian Council of Science, 2004
- Glacial Dynamics during the Last Glaciation. Head of the Project No. 01.0300, Latvian
Council of Science, 2001-2003
- Glaciotectonic Map of Latvia. Head of the Project No. 96.0299, Latvian Council of
- Raw Material Sector. District Planning in Latvia. Pilot Study in Kuldiga District.
Consulting geologist, Report no. 30602-007, Denmark Environmental Agency/COWI, 1998
- Glaciotectonic Database Project of Latvia. Head of the Project No. 93.329, Latvian
Council of Science, 1994-1996
- Landscape Structural Units of Latvia as Part Bioindicative Integration. Coordinator of
sub-Project No. 90.325.01(628), Latvian Council of Science, 1991-1993.
Organization and Management of International Meetings, Workshops
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International
Field Symposium on the Quaternary of Western Lithuania: from the Pleistocene glaciations
to the evolution of the Baltic Sea, May 27 June 02, 2007, Plateliai, Lithuania.
- Member of the Program Committee of the International Field Symposium on Late Pleistocene
Glacigenic Deposits in the Central Part of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet, Kola Peninsula,
Russia, September 11-15, 2006.
- Member of the Program Committee, the International Field Symposium on Late Pleistocene
Glacigenic Deposits in the Central Part of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet, September 11-15,
- Head of the Organizing Committee, the International Field Symposium on Quaternary
Geology and Modern Terrestrial Processes in Western Latvia, September 12-17, 2004.
- Member of the Program Committee of the 6th International Drumlin Symposium of the INQUA
Commision on Glaciation, June 17-23, 2001, Nicholas Copernicus University, Poland.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, the INQUA Commission on Glaciations, Peribaltic Group
and Friends of Baltic Quaternary field Symposium on Glacial Processes and Quaternary
Environment, Latvia, May 25-31, 1998.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, the XIV INQUA Congress in Berlin, August 3-10,1995.
Postcongress Excursion C-3, Baltic Traverse, August 11-20, 1995.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, Pleistocene Stratigraphy, Ice Marginal Formations
and Deglaciation of the Baltic States. Scientific Excursion of Peribaltic Group IGCP 253
Termination of the Pleistocene, June 14-19, 1993.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, Glaciotectonic Processes, Sediments, Landforms and
Their Influence on the Present Geological Situation // Baltic Regional Summer Field
Meeting of Geologists and Geomorphologists. North and Central Vidzeme, Latvia, July 27-
August 01, 1992.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, Glacial Lithomorphogenesis, Paleogeography of
Quaternary Epoch, Present Exodynamic Processes and Their Paleoecological Aspects // Winter
Seminar Geomorphologists and Geologists of the Baltic States, Belarus and European part of
Russia. Jurmala, Latvia, March 18-21, 1991.
- Organization and Management of Study Programs in Geography, Geology and
Environmental Science, 1994-1997.
- Organization and Management of the field course in Geography of Latvia
for BS G. and BS in Earth Science undergraduate students from the Plymouth University, UK,
September, 1996 -1998.
- Organization and Management of the field course in Quaternary Geology and
Glacial Geomorphology in Latvia for research students from the Bern University,
Switzerland, May 25-June 5, 1997.
Last update 27.03.2008.