Born: May 14, 1940
Fields of expertise:
- Antimicrobial Resistance
- Hospital Acquired Infections
Molecular epidemiology of hospital acquired infections.
Languages: Latvian, Russian, English
- Medical Academy of Latvia (Faculty of General Medicine), cum laude, 1964
- Dr.med. ( Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries), Latvian
Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 1968
- Dr.habil.med. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Institute of Virology, Moscow, Russia,
- Junior Researcher, Institute of Microbiology, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1968-1972
- Senior Researcher, Institute of Microbiology, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1972-1973
- Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, Medical Academy of Latvia, 1974-1975
- Head of Department of Microbiology, Medical Academy of Latvia, 1975-1996
- Professor, Medical Academy of Latvia, 1982-1998
- Head , Laboratory of Microbiology, Hospital of Traumatology, 1995 -
- Professor, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Latvia, 1998 -
Honours and Awards:
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1994
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Presidium First Award, 1990
- The Latvian Academy of Innovations and Intellectual Property Prize for the best
innovative project, 2000
- The State Emeritus Scientist, 2007
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member (Chairman, 1994-2000), Latvian Council of Science
Expert Committee for Medicine, 1994-2002
- President, Latvian Association for Medical Microbiologists, 1994 -
- Member of Council, Latvian Association of Chlamydiologists, 1995-
- Member, Council of Habilitation and Promotion, Latvia
University of Agriculture, 1997-
- Member, Council of Habilitation and Promotion,University of Latvia, 1998 -
- Expert, 5th Frame Programmes, EC, Brussels, 2000
- Member, European Society for Clinical Microbiology, 1996 -
- Country Representative in European Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious
Diseases, 1999 -
- Task Force Programme Group Leader in Latvia, 2001- 2004
Medical Academy of Latvia -
- Medical Microbiology for Medical Students (192 h), 1974-1998
- Medical Microbiology for Dentists (106 h), 1979-1992
- Microbiology for Pharmacy Students (144 h), 1976-1980
- Medical Microbiology for Nurses (140 h), 1993-1998
University of Latvia -
- Microbiology for Optometrists (64 h), 1994 -
- Microbiology for Medical Students (144 h), 1998 -
- Microbiology for Magisters of Biology (64 h), 1998 - 2000
International University Centre, Florence -
- Microbiology for Dentists , 1994 - 1995
University of Perugia, Italy (Socrates) BIOTECHUNTE project
- Medical Microbiology, Virology, 2002 -
Total number - 339, including 3 monographs.
- U.Viesturs, I.Smite, A.Zilevica. Biotehnologie:Aagenti Biotehnologici, Tehnolgii
Aparatura, 1991, Bucuresti: Editura Ceres, 288 pp.(in Romanian).
- U.Viesturs, I.Szmite, A.Zilewicz. Biotechnologia - Substancje Biologicznie Czynne,
Technologia, Aparatura, 1992, Warszawa: Wydawnicstwa Naukowo-Techniczne, 224 pp.
- A.Zilevica, D.Rinkuza, U.Viesturs. Microorganisms and Viruses: Morphological,
Physiological and Antigenic Properties, 1992, Riga: Zinatne, 272 pp. (in
- A.Bluger, A.Zilevica, I.Novicki. Infections Diserases and Methods of Laboratory
Diagnosis, 1980, Leningrad: Academy of Sciences, 174 pp. (in Russian).
- A.Zilevica, H.Grante, D.Bondare, R.Treimane. Human primary peripheral blood monocyte
cultures: the effect of 1,25 (OH)2 D3 and interleukin-2. - Acta
Medica Baltica, 1996, N 3, pp. 211-217.
- D.Bondare, A.Zilevica, I.Strozha, et al. Interferon alpha therapy in chronic myeloid
leukaemia with detection of bci/abl transcripts. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., 1998,
vol. 52, N 3/4, pp. 102-107.
- A.Zilevica, I.Vingre, U.Viesturs. Monitoring of hospital infection by epidemiological
methods and biotechnological typing of causative organisms. - Abstr. 5th Int.
Symposium on Envir. Biotechnol., Kyoto, Japan, CD-ROM, pp. 1069-1070.
- I.Ancupane, A.Miltins, V.Miltins, A.Zilevica. Tendency in the spread of syphilis among
the population of Latvia (1900-1997). - Acta medicohistorica Rigensia, Riga,
2000, pp. 149-157.
- A.Zilevica, I.Vingre. Update in Staphylococcal infections. - Scientific Papers,
Medic. Fac., LU, 2001, vol. 4, 631, pp. 125-134.
- A.Zilevica, I.Vingre. Methicillin resistance in Staphylococci. - Scientific Papers,
Medic. Fac., LU, 2001, vol. 4, 643, pp. 268-274.
- A.Zilevica. Infectious factors and human health. Results of five years research in
Latvia. - IAMP. Confronting Infections, Antibiotic Resistance, and Bioterrorism around
the World, 2002, Elsevier, pp. 147-148.
- A.Zilevica. Human health and environment. - LU Scientific Papers, 2004, pp.
- A.Zilevica, U.Viesturs. Modelling of the etiological structure of urinary tract
infections. - Proc. Int. Symposium "Bioprocess Systems", Oct. 25-26,
2005, Sofia, Bulgaria, pp. III.I - III.6.
- A.Zilevica, U.Viesturs. Integrative models for optimization of infectious disease
surveillance. - Proc. Int. Symposium "Bioprocess Systems", Oct. 25-26,
2005, Sofia, Bulgaria, pp. III.7 - III.12.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica, J.Stabulnieks. Lettonie: de la recherche à l'application. - Biofutur,
2005, N 257, pp. 41-45.
- A.Zilevica, T.Tracevska. Biotechnological methods for precise diagnosis of methicillin
resistance in Staphylococci. - Bioautomation, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 54-64.
- A.Zilevica, R.Treimane, U.Viesturs. Extracellular polysaccharide production and biofilm
formation by coagulaser-negative Staphylococci. - Bioautomation, 2006, vol.
4, pp. 41-45.
- S.Isajevs, A. Zilevica, J.Markovs, et al. Diagnostic value of histological and
microbiological screening in etiopathogenesis of recurrent and hypertrophic tonsillitis.
- Bioautomation, 2006, vol. 5, pp. 49-56.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica. The knowledge flow and commercialisation along the continuous
chain: education - research - implementation by innovative methods. - In: Modern
Multidisciplinary Aplied Microbiology, 2006, Wiley-VCH Verlag: Badajoz, Spain, pp.
- A.Zilevica. Hospital-acquired and community acquired uropathogens, modelling of
infection. - Bioautomation (in press).
- A.Zilevica (Head of National Program). Human Health and Environment: Infectious and
Other Risk Factors. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2001).
- A.Zilevica (Head of Project). Interferonotherapy of Chronic Myeloid Leucosis. Latvian
Council of Science (1997-2000).
- A.Zilevica (Head of Project). Antimicrobial Susceptibility of Microorganisms Causing
Bacteremia and Urinary Tract Infection. Latvian Council of Science (2001 - 2003).
- A.Zilevica (Head of Subproject). Genetical Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Resistance and
Molecular Epidemiology of Pathogens in Hospitals in Latvia. Latvian Council of Science (2002
- A.Zilevica (Head of Project). Identification of Virulence Factorsof Some Clinically
Significant Pathogens. Latvian Council of Science (2004 - 2007).
- A.Zilevica (Head of Project). Latvian Educational Program on Antimicrobial Resistance
and Infections in Health Care Settings. Task Force, Council of the Baltic Sea States (2002-2004).
Last update 24.09.2007