Born: July 4, 1937, Riga, Latvia
- Biochemistry of Vertebrate Pituitary Protein-like Hormones
and Related Substances
- Biochemistry and Structure-Functional Aspects of Protein
and Peptide Bioregulators
- Structure-Functional Investigations of Fish
Sturgeon (Acipenser stellatus; A.güldenstädti) and
salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha, Salmo salar) gonadotropic hormone (GTH) , its dimeric
structure and the functional role of individual subunits as the specific components of the
dimeric molecule has been investigated since 1975. For the first time chromatographically
purified sturgeon and salmon GTH was isolated and it was shown that the pituitary gland of
the fishes produces molecular charge variants or isoforms of GTH with different
properties. It was shown that the quaternary structure of fish GTH is an asymmetric
heterodimer, built like a mammalian GTH-s, consisting of two chemically heterologic
subunits which differ functionally and are mutually bound noncovalently.
Also, structure-functional significance of some side chain
radicals and sugar moiety were investigated using selective chemical modifications of both
dimeric GTH and individual subunits.
The chemical structure of carbohydrate chains of the fish
GTH and its subunits has been investigated by means of HPLC. It was shown that the sugar
moieties play an important role in both molecular conformation and biological function of
the hormone, individual subunits and its isoforms.The content and structure-functional
role of sialic acids were determined in the sturgeon GTH.
In summary, the basic aspects of molecular properties and
biological function of the fish GTH were investigated. The data obtained turned out to be
valuable for better understanding both the GTH molecular composition and specificity of
the molecular mechanisms of gametogenesis in the fish.
Languages: Latvian, Russian, English.
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Biology), 1963
- Dr.biol. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in
Western countries), Institute of Chemistry of Natural Compounds, Moscow, Russia, 1972
- Dr.habil.biol. (Doctor of Science in former USSR),
I.Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Leningrad, Russia, 1987
- Lecturer, Faculty of Chemistry, University of
- Engineer, Central Research Laboratory of Chemical Plant in
Olaine, Latvia, 1965-67
- Postgraduate, Institute of Chemistry for Natural Compounds,
Moscow, Russia, 1968-1970
- Junior Researcher, Institute of Biology, Latvian Academy of
- Senior Researcher, Head of Laboratory of Biochemistry, Institute
of Biology, 1976-
- Deputy Director for Science , Institute of Biology, 1980 -
Honours and Awards:
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member, Latvian Council of
- Chairman, Commission of Promotion, Latvian
Council of Science, 1997-
- Member, State Commission for Scientific Qualification, 1999
- Member, Latvian Council of Science Expert Committee for
Biological Sciences, 1997- 2000
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board for Proceedings of
Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1997- 2000;
Vice-Chairman, 2000 -
- Monograph: H.A. Zenkevich. Fish Gonadotropic Hormone.
Isolation and properties , 1992 , Riga: Zinatne Press, 224 pp. (in Russian,
Summary in English)
- H.A. Zenkevich, V.P. Slanke , A.R. Valdman. Functional role
of C-terminal part of the Russian sturgeon gonadotropin subunits. - Doklady Akademii
Nauk SSSR, 1991, vol. 319, pp.1485-1487 (in Russian)
- H.A.Zenkevich, N.P.Arbatsky, V.P. Slanke, A.O. Zheltova,
V.A. Derevitskaya. The structure of the carbohydrate chains of dimeric molecule and
individual subunits of the Russian sturgeon gonadotropin. - Bioorganicheskaya Khimiya, 1992,
vol. 18, pp. 226-234 (in Russian)
- H.A.Zenkevich, V.P. Slanke, Z.M. Lace, A.R. Valdman. Role
of sialic acids in the sturgeon gonadotropin polymorphism. - Transact.
(Doklady) Russian Acad. Sci., 1993, vol. 331, pp. 632-635 (in Russian)
- H.A. Zenkevich, N.P. Arbatsky, A.O. Zheltova, V.P. Slanke,
Z.M. Lace. Characterization of the hydrocarbon chains of the humpback salmon
gonadotropin molecular forms isolated using Concanavalin-A sepharose. - Bioorganicheskaya
Khimiya, 1994, vol. 20, N 6, pp. 686-690 (in Russian).
- H. Zenkevics . Fish gonadotropic hormone:
Structural-functional investigation. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., 1994, N 5/6, pp.
- H. Zenkevics, V. Slanke, V. Vose. Isohormone-inhibitor of
biological activity of Baltic salmon Salmo salar L. gonadotropin. - Transact.
(Doklady) Russian Acad. Sci., 1996, vol. 347, pp. 818-820 (in Russian).
- H. Zenkevics, V. Vose, I. Vosekalne, A. Bucena. Functional
role of sugar moiety of the ß-subunit in sturgeon gonadotropin. - Transact.
(Doklady) Russian Acad. Sci., 1999, vol. 364, N 6, pp. 828-831 (in Russian).
- H. Zenkevics, V. Vose, I. Vosekalne, A. Bucena. Partial
degycosylation of alpha subunit modifies sturgeon gonadotropin function. - Acta
Biochim. Pol., 2000, vol.47, N 3, pp. 815-819.
- V. Vose, H. Zenkevics, A. Bucena. Copper ions influences
sturgeon gonadropin function. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., B, 2000, vol. 54, N
1/2, pp. 46-47.
- H. Zenkevics, V. Vose, A. Bucena. Molecular form of
the sturgeon gonadotropin which does not adsorb on ConcanavalinA. - Transact.
(Doklady) Russian Acad. Sci., 2001, vol. 376, N 3, pp. 401-
- V.Vose, H.Zenkevics, A.Bucena. Cadmium reduces the hormonal
sensivity of frog oocytes. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., B, 2002, vol. 56, N 1/2,
- H.Zenkevics. Fifty years of the Institute of Biology:
retrospective view on the development and research of the Institue. - Proc.
Latv. Acad. Sci., B, 2002, vol. 56, N 4/5, pp. 193-206.
- H. Zenkevics, V. Vose, A. Bucena. Functional role of
tryptophan residues in sturgeon gonadotropic hormone. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci.,
B, 2003, vol. 57, pp. 187-191.
- H.Zenkevics, V.Vose, I.Vosekalna, A.Bucena.
Structural-functional role of disulphide bonds in sturgeon gonadotropin. - Proc.
Latv. Acad. Sci., B, 2004, vol. 58, N3/4, pp. 127-130.
- H.Zenkevics, M.Klavins, V.Vose, A.Bucena. Humic acid
reduces gonadotropin activity and hormonal sensivity of frog oocytes. - Aquatic
Toxicology, 2005, vol. 75, pp.380-383.
- H.Zenkevics, V.Vose, I.Vosekalna, A.Bucena. Secondary
structure of sturgeon gonadotropin ß subunit isoforms. - - Proc. Latv. Acad.
Sci., B, 2006, vol. 60, N 2/3, pp. 77-80.
- H.Zenkevics, V.Vose, A.Butsena. The key role of guanidine
groups in the hormonal function of gonadotropin of the Russian sturgeon. - - Doklady
Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2006, vol. 410, pp. 278-289.
- H.Zenkevics (Head of Project). Investigation of the
Relationship between the Molecular Properties and Specific Function of Fish Gonadotropin. Latvian
Council of Science (1991-1993).
- H.Zenkevics (Head of Project). Investigation of Molecular
and Biological Properties of Protein-like Hormones from Fish Pituitary: Possible
Relationship with Some Hydroecological Factors. Latvian Council of Science (1993-1996).
- H.Zenkevics (Head of Project). Investigation of
Regularities in Fish Gonadotropic Hormone Molecular Properties and Biological Functions. Latvian
Council of Science (1996-2000).
- H.Zenkevics (Head of Project). Investigation of Fish
Reproduction Regulator - Gonadotropic Hormone Molecular Forms and Analogues. Latvian
Council of Science (2001 -2004).
- H.Zenkevics (Head of Project). Investigation
of Fish Reproduction Regulator Gonadotropic Hormone Molecular Forms and Analogues. Latvian Council of Science (2005 - ).
Last update 12.09.2007